At St. Wilfrid’s, at the heart of our curriculum, and all aspects of school life, we aim to ensure that our children feel loved, as part of a school family, and know that their God given talents are valued and celebrated. We endeavour to develop within our children, a Faith that will grow with our children, inform their choices and sustain them into adult life.
- To provide a welcoming school, where children feel safe, happy and eager to learn.
- To nurture children’s self-esteem and sense of aspiration.
- To deliver a curriculum that allows our children to progress in skills, knowledge and understanding across a broad and balanced range of subjects.
- To provide our children with a range of experiences beyond the classroom and school setting, that enhances both their understanding of the curriculum, and their personal development.
- To foster a love of learning, and interest in our locality, our history and our heritage in Bishop Auckland.
- To develop our children’s skills as enquiring, problem solving and expressive learners.
- To support our children and their families in sharing life-long learning opportunities.
- To reveal to children an understanding of how scripture and Faith tradition influence people’s actions, morals and ethical choices, in our own communities and the wider world.
Our curriculum incorporates the following subject areas:- R.E., English, Mathematics, Science, Computing, Design Technology, Geography, History, Music, Art, Physical Education, French and Philosophy. We try to make links across subjects and widen children’s understanding through class excursions and visiting experts, as well as learning about our local history and heritage in Bishop Auckland. We encourage children to become independent learners by nurturing and developing their investigative and problem solving ability, so that they gain learning skills that will be of value throughout their lives. Children are regularly assessed to ensure their individual targets are appropriate and they are continually stretched to achieve their best.
Our School uses the Come and See programme to deliver Religious Education from Nursery to Year 6.
The programme has been developed to respond to the needs of children today in their faith journey, to enable them to grow in their religious literacy and understanding in a way that is coherent with current educational principles. A Parent’s letter is sent each term outlining the topics to be studied.
At the heart of the programme is the mystery of God’s self-revelation of love through Jesus Christ. Come and See gives pupils the opportunity to explore the mystery of faith through Scripture and Tradition. We try to be creative in our R.E lessons and work hard to provide the children with varied activities which are designed to ensure that their lessons are enjoyable.
To read the Levels of Attainment against which RE is assessed, download the file at the bottom of this page.
Please have a look at Our Classes to see what we have been learning.
View or download the Our Learning documents to see what we learn in an academic year in each class:
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
At St Wilfrid’s RCVA Primary School, we believe that inclusive education means providing all pupils with appropriate education and support alongside their peers. The Curriculum is all the planned activities that the school organises in order to promote learning, personal growth and development.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.